2.10.2013

Swedish Crepe Cake


Pancake Tuesday, Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, Fastelavn, or Fat Tuesday. Whatever you call it, it's coming.  Tomorrow in fact. For those of you not in the know, this is the day before the beginning of the lenten season where people indulge. Indulge in all those things that are often times forbidden during the somber season approaching.  

What really could be more indulgent than pancakes?  Or in this case crepes, as in Swedish crepes?  In and of themselves these beautiful pancakes are eggy and buttery, but throw on some whipped cream and berries and you have the veritable definition of  "over the top".

These crepes are our family's favorite.  My boys have been reared on Swedish Crepe Saturday's as we call them at our house.  When my oldest was just a little tyke, maybe 5 or 6 years old he could literally eat his own weight in crepes.  It was slightly alarming. In the interest of health and sanity we decided that it made sense to put him on a pancake limit program. Now that both boys are teenagers the pancake limit program has been retired.  For now.


This cake is really too decadent to be eaten for breakfast. I think it would put me in a sugar coma for the rest of the day so when we indulge in it we do so as dessert. You can easily make this cake on the morning of the day you'd like to eat it, but I would advise against making it before that.  The sliced strawberries inside begin to leak juice and compromise the integrity of the cake. 

Slice it after it's been refrigerated for a few hours and be sure to use a serrated bread knife for ease of cutting. Like all good family recipes, this one comes from my grandmother.

Gail's Swedish Crepes
Makes 13,  5 1/2" crepes

1 1/3 C. all purpose flour
3 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 C. milk
4 eggs
5 T. melted butter (cooled slightly) plus 1 additional T. butter for the pan

Begin by combining the flour, sugar and salt in a medium sized bowl.  Whisk to break up any lumps.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk and eggs, whisking until incorporated.  Slowly add the milk/egg mixture whisking while pouring.  Once combined add the 5 T. cooled melted butter.

Preheat a small (5 1/2") pan over low, medium/low heat.  Add the remaining 1 T. butter, swirl around to evenly coat.  Using a 1/3 C. measure, scoop up some batter and pour it into the pan.

Cook on each side until golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack to allow crepes to cool completely.  Avoid stacking them on top of each other until they are completely cool to the touch.

Whip, 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with 1/4 C. icing sugar.  Whip into stiff peaks.  Set aside. Slice 1 lb. strawberries.  Layer cake with whipped cream and strawberries using an offset spatula.  Top with more strawberries or raspberries, dust with icing sugar then refrigerate 6 hours.

Slice and serve!







11 comments :

Ginger said...

This cake is just stunning. Such beautiful photos. I'm all set for some serious baking once the weekend rolls around.

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Ginger! If you try the crepes, let me know what you think!

Kim Boynton said...

I just found your site on Tasty Kitchen. I am excited to look through your history and recipes. I was part of a Swedish church (I am Latvian/English/Dutch) for many years and the recipes I got from those ladies are still some of my favorites. Swedes and Latvians share a love of cardamom! This looks awesome. Can't wait until I'm back at my fighting weight in order to splurge on this!

Pink Patisserie said...

Welcome Kim! So glad to have you here and thank you for your kind words! I hope you enjoy browsing around! And your right about those ladies.. they have the best recipes :)

Terris @ Free Eats said...

What a gorgeous blog! I'm so happy to have found it and I'm looking forward to following your posts. This recipe is a show-stopper!

Titou said...

Can we have this at our next book club? As always it is gorgeous and I'm sure scrumptious!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Terris! So happy to have you here! I too have enjoyed taking a peek at your beautiful Free Eats and look forward to following you! I have niece with severe celiac so I am always on the look out for good recipes to share with my sister in law. Will definitely send her your way!

Pink Patisserie said...

Of course Titou! I will be happy to make it for you and the gals.. Thanks for your kind words!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

I never had swedish pancakes, but my fair share of crepes. This is a showstopper cake, both in looks and flavors!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Paula! I think crepes and swedish pancakes are really the same thing, possible made just a bit on the thicker side than most crepes but essentially the same batter.

Kate@Diethood said...

HOLY MOLY! GAWDGEOUS!!!!! My jaw is on the floor... for reals. So pretty!

Post a Comment