1.27.2014

Bacon, Apple, Cheddar Quiche




I'm so thrilled to bring to you a guest post this morning from the wonderfully talented Karista Bennett from Karista's Kitchen. Karista is a chef, recipe developer, writer and the real deal.  While I like to putter around in the kitchen and think I know a thing or two; truth is I'm just an amateur.  Karista's comprehensive knowledge and skills in the kitchen are both admirable and enviable.  Lucky for me she's is also a good and dear friend who is passionate about sharing that knowledge and her love of good food.

Winter greetings Pink Patisserie readers!  I’m Karista and I publish the recipe website Karista’s Kitchen.   Big love and thanks to Maria (Pink Patisserie) for asking me to guest post today! I’ve known Maria for many years now and I feel so blessed to call her friend.   A gracious, beautiful and talented lady who has an artistic eye for the naturally beautiful art of food and baking.  I love how Maria embraces the flavors of sweet and savory in her recipes.  Which is why I’ve chosen to guest post this tasty and satisfying Bacon, Apple, Cheddar Quiche.



Fruit and cheese have always been complimentary ingredients. Apple pie with cheddar cheese, apple and cheddar biscuits and of course the quintessential fruit and cheese platter.  Flavors of sweet and creamy, nutty and pungent all mingling together on the tongue.
So, when I was trying to decide what to make with my two beautiful Washington apples - that had been sitting in the fruit bowl for days, lonely and obviously not wanted - I decided a lovely bacon, apple, cheddar quiche would be perfect.


The rich distinct flavor of the smoky bacon combined with the sweetness of the apple and creamy bold flavor of the cheddar makes for a most mouthwatering quiche.  As well, I added a touch of shallot and thyme to enhance the custard and round out this delightfully enchanting dish.
Perfect for a weeknight meal or a lazy winter weekend.  Seasonal, fresh and just a tiny bit indulgent.  Bon Appétit!
Bacon, Apple, Cheddar Quiche
I often double this recipe and prepare it in my 9 inch spring form pan.  It will make 8 servings in the large 9 inch spring form pan.  Otherwise I use the recipe as written with my standard 9 inch deep dish pie plate.
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
8 ounces bacon (I like using the thick cut bacon from my butcher)
½ cup shredded apple
1 heaping tablespoon diced shallots
1 ½ cups shredded quality cheddar cheese
1 sprig thyme, leaves removed and lightly chopped, or about ½ teaspoon dried thyme
5 large eggs or 8 large eggs if using the 9 inch spring form pan
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 recipe pate brisee, recipe follows (or your favorite pie crust)
1 9inch deep dish pie plate

Directions
Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
Prepare the pate brisee. Roll out the dough large enough for the pie plate and then press it into the pie plate. Or use your favorite pie crust. 
In a skillet cook the bacon, drain and then coarsely chop.  Remove some of the bacon grease leaving a little left in the skillet and sauté the shallots. 
Spread the cooked bacon over the bottom of the pie crust.  Next layer the cooked shallots over the bacon, then layer the shredded apple over the shallots.  Last, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the shredded apple.
In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
Gently pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie plate and place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until the quiche is done. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
I also like making this quiche in mini spring form pans for individual quiche. Great for a small brunch or special lunch guest. The recipe should make two or three mini quiche. 
If preparing this in the large 9 inch deep spring form pan be sure to double the recipe.
Pie Dough (Pate Brisee)

1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour or pastry flour
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon ice water

If you don’t have pastry flour on hand, combine 2 parts all purpose flour with 1 part cake flour.  (I keep this combination handy in a separate container, so I always have some ready to use

Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse a few times to mix.

Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and pulse a few more times until the butter and flour resemble coarse pea sized pieces or a coarse meal.

As you pulse the food processer add the egg and water and pulse only until the dough is holding together in one piece.

Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead just a few times forming the dough into a disc.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or so, or overnight.  Often I’ll make several batches of pate brisee and then keep them wrapped in the freezer, pulling them out when I know I’ll need them.


Remove the chilled disk from the refrigerator and roll it out with a wooden rolling pin to generously fit your 9 inch deep dish pan.  If the dough becomes too soft to work with, return it to the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to chill. 

10 comments :

Marie Matter said...

What a great recipe! With all these awesome flavors it has to be delicious!!!

Colette Joseph said...

Simply gorgeous.

PS-I have a foodie giveaway running til Saturday. Just leave a comment on my blog, telling me how you like to use mustard. Or follow me on FB. Cheers!

Milk and Honey said...

Cheese and apple - apple and cheese...and BACON, I'm there. This looks and sounds amazing Karista.

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen said...

Beautiful savory recipe, Karista! Love all the layers of flavor going on. This is definitely a must make recipe for brunches and would be so perfect for Easter and Mother's Day. Thanks for hosting Karista, Maria! So nice to have found her blog via Pink Patisserie. Have a great week ahead, girls! xo

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

What a tasty quiche, I love the flavors!

laurasmess.me said...

Aw yay, two of my favourite bloggers in one post! The quiche looks absolutely divine Karista... beautiful, crisp, golden pastry and such a light, fluffy filling! Yum. Gorgeous photos as always. Love the combo of apple, cheese and bacon! xx

Sophia Del Gigante said...

This looks sooooo delicious, I LOVE the idea of a fruit and cheese quiche! Pinning! YUMMMM! So beautiful and elegant too!

vanillasugarblog said...

I want a deep dish pie plate SO bad!
You've no idea!
Been dying to make a pizza with it.
Love your blog (found you via Val)

bourbonandbrownsugar said...

What a gorgeous post - can't wait to try the quiche, and your photography is gorgeous!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

LOVE the use of apple here. Yum!

Post a Comment