1.28.2014

Game Day Slow Cook Smoky Shredded Beef Tacos


So, the Seahawks are going to the Superbowl.  Did you know? As a native Seattleite this is no small thing. Our road to the Superbowl has been somewhat overshadowed by recent unfortunate and unfairly overblown remarks from a certain player, the media and the public, BUT nonetheless, here we are and I could not be more thrilled!! 

You'll have to forgive me for this post. It's not exactly your typical food blog post, but I just feel it necessary to share a little history, a little peek into all the hubbub and excitement from a Seattle point of view. We're a bit nuts around here these days, and the whole city is humming with excitement. 

The Seahawks played their first regular season game in Seattle in the Fall of 1976.  I was 6 years old at the time and living in what is now the very hip and happening neighborhood of Ballard.  In 1976, Ballard was as far from hip as any town could be.  A blue collar working town full to bursting with Scandinavian fishermen and their families, Ballard was workaday, hard working and hard drinking. 

Every Seahawks Sunday, I had vivid memories of the town grinding itself to a slow and blissful halt.  It was nothing to see people walking down the street, transistor radios glued to their ears, neighborhood bars fair to bursting and old Norwegian men lining the street out front of Lutheran Sunday services leaning in around car radios cheering the Seahawks on to victory. It was a huge, huge deal to have our own NFL team.  We had for all intents and purposes arrived.

Despite that feeling of accomplishment however, we've always felt a bit of the underdog here in Seattle.  Never quite well, enough. We have made many "worst town to be a sports fan" lists and have always struggled to shake a perception of inadequacy. But to have this, our second chance at the rodeo that is the Superbowl is almost more than we as a town can believe. It's nothing short of magical. Our fans, the infamous 12th Man and our team have worked so very hard to get this far. We haven't always played the prettiest football but regardless of the outcome on Sunday, we as a city, a state and corner of the world are enormously proud.

I have no intentions of spending my Superbowl Sunday working away in the kitchen.  All of my energy and focus will be spent watching the game and relishing the spectacle, the excitement and a small sense of wonder at how far we've come.

Easy, make ahead fare will be the order of the day on Superbowl Sunday.  These slow cook tacos definitely fit that bill.  Simple to prepare before hand, both the meat and the toppings are perfect to set out right before game time.  There is something about tacos and Mexican food in general that just seems to fit the tailgate vibe.  Bright fresh ingredients, spicy, creamy, perfect celebration food.  Serve these with a nice cold beer and a Seahawks win and you're golden.  

This recipe is a special installment for the Issaquah Press, and as such you can find the it by clicking on the link and checking it out there. Go Hawks!!


22 comments :

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

These tacos look incredibly delicious and remind me that it has been far too long since I've had a great Mexican meal. Must try these!

ashley - baker by nature said...

I have zero intrest in the Super Bowl... but like, 110% interest in downing ALL of these tacos. ALL OF THEM!

Grandbabycakes said...

You are killing me with these! They are seriously perfection!

Marie Matter said...

YUM! My family is torn because 1/2 of them are from CO and the other 1/2 the Seattle area. Needless to say, everyone is excited!!!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough said...

Oh man, I'm not all that into football but I'm really liking the idea of these tacos + the big game. It sounds like perfection.

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom said...

gorgeous, gorgeous tacos! I'm also pretty excited that Seattle made it to the Super Bowl this year. . we just moved from Seattle to Madison, WI and were immediately ushered into "Packers" country. . cheese heads and all. . but I don't just switch my teams like that. It doesn't work like that. And we will be a divided household on Sunday because my husband loves Peyton Manning. . go Seahawks! I love the idea of a slow cooker recipe. . I'm already in over my head for our Super Bowl party. . trying to scale back so I can sit back a little and enjoy the game!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

I don't do the whole watching football thing... but I'd happily eat these gorgeous beef tacos! {YUM!} :)

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Laura! I I think I need to make it a priority to have Mexican once a week at least.. That should be a New Year resolution, one I could easily keep!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Ashley! If the Seahawks weren't in the Superbowl, I'd have zero interest too :)

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Jocelyn! Wish I had some more left over.. WIll have to wait until Sunday for more.. :)

Pink Patisserie said...

That is a difficult decision Marie! But I know you'll make the right one.. :)

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Stephanie! Tacos are perfect game day and any day food in my book. :)

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Alice.. I"ll be sending Seahawks vibes to Madison for you. :) Stay strong my friend!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures said...

I hope they win for your sake. These tacos look wonderful. They're perfect for a game day!

Milk and Honey said...

Love, love, love these. Just up my street and down my ally. Go Seahawks!!!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen said...

Gorgeous tacos, Maria! I just can't stop looking at your photo...just dreamy. I love the colors, composition and styling. So inviting! Thanks for sharing about your childhood in 1976. Haven't heard the term 'transistor radio' in a loooong time. So glad you are proud of the Hawks. However, I am on Team Peyton (being from Indy, Colts territory where he hails). This city is ready for him to earn his next Super Bowl Ring!

Katie's Cucina said...

Since being pregnant I crave all things Mexican. I've yet to make shredded beef tacos. These look and sound amazing!!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

Ever since we moved out of LA, I've been dying for some good old fashioned tacos and these seem to fit the bill. Can't wait to try this!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

Looks delicious! Love tacos or any mexican food for that matter :D

Shari Tokumi said...

Maria, these were delish! I left the chilies out & used mild smoked paprika like you suggested & it had just enough heat for the girls' liking. The Omission GF beer was a great suggestion as well! Flavorful in the recipe as well as with the tacos! Thanks!

Shari Tokumi said...

Maria, these were delish! I left the chilies out & used mild smoked paprika like you suggested & it had just enough heat for the girls' liking. The Omission GF beer was a great suggestion as well! Flavorful in the recipe as well as with the tacos! Thanks!

laurasmess.me said...

These tacos would knock the socks off any hungry sports fan... yum! Love the colour contrast, that tender beef and the extra lime. I cannot wait to make these... you know how obsessed I am with mexican food! Heading over to check out the recipe now...

Post a Comment