1.21.2014

Roasted Cauliflower Soup





I live in a house with people who generally are not cauliflower fans. I'm proud of the fact that we worked hard to have our boys introduced to vegetables from an early age.  It was a definite struggle at times, there were tears at the dinner table, food was "thrown", hidden under bread and one memorable meal included a lovely bout of vegetable vomit, but we stuck with it and now as teenagers they are often as excited about the vegetable portion of our meal as they are the main.  I say, "as" excited, but rarely are they more excited about the vegetable side than the main dish..  They are teenage boys after all, and as such seem to have an unholy fascination with meat.

I have yet to meet a teenage boy who is a vegetarian.  I know they exist, and I have massive respect for them.  I'm sure growing up in a vegetarian home makes that reality an easier one for most, but it's just not something I see very much of.  While I try to encourage vegetables as much as possible at home and my husband is a big veg lover, cauliflower has always been a tough sell.  I tried dousing it in cheese sauce, mixing it in with pasta, etc, etc but it was always a no go.  They'd choke down the mandatory 3 bites, squish up their faces in gruesome grimaces,  then push their plates away beating a hasty retreat.  

I quickly realized that the cauliflower battle wasn't one I wanted to fight. As long as they ate a whole load of other vegetables, I could cave on the cauliflower front.  Now, if I want cauliflower I usually make it solely for myself.  As I did with this easy and delicious soup.  Lightened up with low fat evaporated milk, and topped with lightly steamed baby broccoli, hazelnuts and garlic oil, it's been perfect, healthy resolution food.  

This recipe is my latest article featured in the Issaquah Press. Hit the link here to head on over and get the details.

Soup like this is filling, yet light.  Full of flavor and texture, I think I ate this for breakfast, lunch and dinner one week. There may have even been a few teenage boys who had some too.

12 comments :

Marie Matter said...

Roasted cauliflower is an obsession of mine. This soup looks so good - love the toppings!!

Erika said...

Love this!! I'm currently in a battle of wills when it comes to feeding my son.. vegetables are a NO GO.. :) I'll head over and check out this recipe..

AdriBarr said...

Oh my, but what a perfect soup for this time of year! It looks wonderful!

Valerie Gamine said...

Delish! Cauliflower is a love it-or hate it kind of vegetable - not much middle ground. (The bane of my childhood was the dreaded Brussels sprouts...of doom). :D

Monica said...

I love anything described as 'filling yet light'. Plus, I adore cauliflower! Wish I could say the same for my 8-year old. He would eat meat all the time if I let him...but I see there could be hope yet and I should keep working on it. This soup looks really amazing. I love your special touches with the greens and hazelnuts. : )

Sarah | The Sugar Hit said...

It must be a love it or hate it vegetable, because I LOVE cauliflower. There is no bad way to eat it, as far as I'm concerned. I would swim in this soup.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love roasted cauliflower, your soup looks so comforting and delicious!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen said...

Maria, I love this post (article for IP) for so many reasons. I love knowing you are a mom to teenage boys and use your creativity to get your men to enjoy their veggies. That's love, right there. I adore roasted cauliflower and your soup looks divine. Love that you added the steamed broccoli and hazelnuts for added flavor and color. Thanks for sharing, m'lady! xo

ashley - baker by nature said...

This is totally a soup even my picky pants hubby would be happy to slurp :)

Milk and Honey said...

I totally get the dinner table scene of tears and frustration over untouched food. We too, worked really hard to "break in" our boys at an early age and are reaping the rewards now. My sons (and husband and I) would inhale this soup. Looks gorgeous.

laurasmess.me said...

Aaron and I don't have children yet but we both remember being forced to eat vegetables ourselves as children. Now, as adults, we adore all kinds of vegetables and we'll quite happily eat vegetarian a few times per week (it took Aaron a little while to come around to the idea of less meat but now he doesn't miss it at all). I have huge respect for parents who keep persisting with vegetables despite opposition from their children. It's hard but it's definitely an investment into their future health and enjoyment of food in general :) Love the look of this gorgeous soup, your boys are missing out! x

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Sounds delicious! I love a creamy cauliflower soup and roasting it brings out even more of it's wonderful flavors!

Post a Comment