2.10.2014

Easy Affogato




With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching this week, I find myself in a very familiar predicament; what to make for our annual Love Day dessert.  With the big day falling more often then not on a weeknight, and busy schedules for all, we almost never dine out on Valentine's Day. Long gone are the days of leisurely, romantic dining out Valentine Day dinners. In fact, they are so long gone that I have to squint when I try to remember one of those dinners.   While I'm speaking of squinting, I have to say, squinting is becoming a problem.  Squinting is one of those things no one tells you about as you get older. Squinting, (outside of the fact that it's an awesome word to say) is not my friend.  It's wrinkle inducing,  decidedly un-cute and happens way too often my friends.

So in order to prevent further wrinkle inducing facial expressions, (of which there are many more than you thought humanly possible and many of which you become intimately acquainted with when you have teenagers) we decide to keep things simple around here.  Rather than go out and spend wads at a schmancy restaurant, every year we plan a nice steak dinner at home.  My husband busts out the grill, we buy decadent crab stuffed mushrooms from the fish monger, quaff real French Champagne,  throw some gorgeous veg in the oven to roast and we're golden. 




Routinely though I find myself struggling to come up with a dessert.  I don't want to spend loads of time in the kitchen and truly most years we just end up eating our dessert from heart shaped boxes, which is completely, totally more than ok. It feels more decadent, more special though to make a dessert and this year I've found the perfect solution.  Affogato.

Just saying Affogato makes you feel romantic. It's Italian, so right there it scores major points and it's easy, easy to make. In fact it's so easy and requires so few ingredients that it also can be made with out any unnecessary squinting. Score. Vanilla ice cream or my favorite hazelnut gelato, plunked into rich boozy espresso.  That's it. Dressed up with whipped cream or your favorite liqueur and it be comes even more decadent and perfectly suited to a special occasion. Here's my version, but feel free to mix it up how ever you see fit.

Easy Affogato
Serves 4
1 pint of your favorite ice cream or gelato
1 C. freshly brewed espresso or very strong coffee
4 oz. hazelnut liqueur or bourbon
1 C. heavy whipping cream, whipped into soft peaks (opt.)
crushed chocolate covered coffee beans or cookies of your choice

Pour the coffee equally into 4 glasses (1/4 C. for each glass). Add the liqueur if using, and a small dollop of whipped cream. Add the ice cream to the mixture and garnish with the coffee beans or cookies.



42 comments :

Emily Caruso said...

This looks incredible, Maria!! I am a huge fan of affogato, and I love your addition of the liqueur - it makes it even more romantic :)

Grandbabycakes said...

This looks absolutely fantastic!

Erika said...

A nice dinner at home has been our routine for awhile now. I could definitely see adding this Affogato to that menu.. I feel so fancy saying Affogato..:)

Marie Matter said...

We always do dinner at home for Valentine's Day, and I love it! And I REALLY love this affogato... one of my favorite desserts!!

Monica said...

I LOVE affogato. I can't believe it took me so long to make/taste at home (in the last year). We love it with chocolate gelato and amaretto but I think it's all good. Your affogato looks beautiful, as is everything I see here!

Rebecca {foodie with family} said...

This is just beautiful!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes said...

Mmm I'm Italian so this is my kinda dessert right here!! Love it!

Caroline Zhang said...

This looks delicious, Maria! I definitely agree, affogato is very romantic; I last had this in Venice over the summer (:

Milk and Honey said...

Your beautiful Affogato speaks to me.

bourbonandbrownsugar said...

What a fantastic idea... love the addition of the bourbon! I'm imagining my variation would involve a brown sugar ice cream :) And the photography, as always, is gorgeous... Thanks!

Chris Scheuer said...

Oh yum, this looks amazing! Such a simple, delicious idea!

laurasmess.me said...

Crab stuffed mushrooms?! Wow, I think I need to find your fishmonger! And yes... definitely agree that romantic dinners are all the better if you're not spending hours in the kitchen. Your plans for Friday sound wonderful... particularly when finished with this deliciously simple liqueur-spiked affogato. Have a wonderful Valentines Day Maria!! Hope that you both get some extra time for relaxation this year! xx

Sarah | The Sugar Hit said...

Affogato is my boyfriend's FAVOURITE dessert. Those Italians know what they're doing, right? I realise that makes it sound like my boyfriend is Italian. He's not. Still gorgeous though. This has gotten off track.

Sophia Del Gigante said...

This is so amazingly simple! Soooo in and so delicious!

Ashley - baker by nature said...

This is so my kind of dessert! Totally making Saturday night for our movie night in ;)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Affogato is such a treat, this looks absolutely delicious!

AdriBarr said...

I adore affogato, and these shots are truly beautiful. Brava!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Now that's the perfect ending to any special meal!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Emily! I'm embarrassed to say I've not tried Affogato before. Now I'm hooked!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Jocelyn! It was so good, wish I had some more!

Pink Patisserie said...

It's a shmancy word for sure.. Hope you are staying nice, warm and cozy at home friend!

Pink Patisserie said...

It's really the best isn't it Marie? Cozy home, and yummy desserts are the best!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Monica. I bet it's amazing with chocolate gelato. That will have to be next on my list!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Rebecca!

Pink Patisserie said...

I'm totally converted to this kind of dessert. Simple and so easy, I'm ashamed to admit I've not had it before!!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Caroline! It's such a pretty word to say so it has to be perfectly suited to Valentines day!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Jen! It spoke to me too!

Pink Patisserie said...

Bourbon simply makes everything better, but I have a feeling you know that already! Love your blog name!!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Chris! Simple is really the best I think!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Laura! Have lovely Valentines Day as well. I'll send you some crab stuffed mushroom love ok?

Pink Patisserie said...

Ha, ha, that's ok Sarah… We can all pretend to have Italian boyfriends, deal?

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Sophia! Coffee and ice cream are just so amazing together. Simple really is the best!!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Ashley! This is perfect movie night dessert, in fact this is perfect every night dessert!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Laura! It's such a decadent thing it's hard to believe it's so simple..

Pink Patisserie said...

Thank you Adri!

Pink Patisserie said...

Thanks Sylvie, I would eat this every day if I could get away with it. :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com said...

Mmm... perfect dessert for v-day :) Love the addition of chocolate covered coffee beans :)

Shelly West said...

I love this! Simple and elegant so there is plenty of time to hang out with your loved ones!

Diethood.com said...

This is the best stuff!! Creamy, sweet, elegant... yeah... definitely V-Day worthy! :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen said...

Gorgeous, Maria! Perfect for Valentine's Day dessert. So sorry to have missed you last week when I was down with the flu. I hope and pray you and your family are spared. You celebrate V-Day the way we do...steaks cooked at home with all sorts of added deliciousness and a special homemade dessert. (Then, like sane people, we go out the following weekend to avoid the crowds.) I hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day, my friend! xo

Savory Simple said...

Beautiful!

Aggie said...

I don't like to spend a ton of time on dessert either, this is perfect!! I love coffee and ice cream!

Post a Comment